Our friends at Paystream, kindly sent us their UK Contractor Insights Survey. The survey brought forward some promising statistics around the contracting and in particular the IT contracting sector!
Paystream carried out the survey in a bid to find out what the UK contractor market is like – from the contractors themselves.
They gathered the views of 1600 UK contractors over a period of 2 months, from a wide range of sectors which included IT.
The survey covered the participants’ views on contracting and highlighted possible opportunities.
The survey results
Here’s what we thought were the interesting and important outcomes of the survey:
- Contracting is most predominant in Engineering and IT sectors
- A 12% rise in contractors in the UK in the last 4 years according to The Association of Independent Professionals and the Self Employed (ISPE).
- More people are moving to contract work to improve their work-life balance and for greater flexibility.
- More women are working this way - self employed women increasing by 34% since 2009.
- Women made up around 1/3 of the survey sample
- 75% of respondents said they would go through a recruitment agency for their next contract role
- Pay rate, location and length of contract were the most important factors for contractors when looking for their next contract.
- 9% of UK contractors work in Scotland
All of these results show that contracting is convenient and a great career choice for people of all ages.
For more information on the report click on the link below: